# Contact info submission url: exile-blog.blogspot.com site_owner: address1: address2: city: state: country: postal_code: phone_number: display_email: site_name: site_description: The Exile

E-Mail Me

My Twitter

Top Blogs

LeftWing2

Campaign 4 Public Ownership

FASO

FASSIT

Mothers For Justice

Ian Josephs

UKSecretCourt's Videos

Unity-Injustice




Chris Paul

David Lindsay

Heresy Corner

Machetera

Martin Meenagh

Neil Clark

Organised Rage

Renegade Eye

Serb Blog

Splintered Sunrise

Star of Vergina

Unrepentant Communist

Agitprop

British Politics

Censorship 01

Collaborators

Gimlet

Imperialism

Memories

Mexico

New Britain 01

New Britain 02

Sleaze

Social Work Industry

Wankblogs

Working Class

Atom Feed

XML Feed





04 December 2008
The credit crunch in Putney, London
I was walking through Putney last Friday evening at about 8.00pm on my way to the Railway Inn, a rather decent swill shop. On the very corner of Upper Richmond Road and Putney High Street there stands a Foxton's Estate Agency, an establishment that for some reason has always struck me as representing Blatcherite aspirational values at their most loathsome.

Inside the shop, but clearly visible from the street, a young man was sat behind his computer screen. That at a time, remember, when most men his age should be thinking about the beer that they will pore down their necks and the talent that they hope to pull that Friday evening.

The bloke who was with me gave me a nudge and started to laugh. I did the same and the two of us stood in the street laughing our heads off at some wazzock half our age who was wasting good supping and pulling time.

The little maggot was scared, of course. Scared for his job as everything crashes around him. He looked up and saw us chortling at his discomfort, then he returned to his screen, and didn't say a word.

If he reads this - or any of his ilk pass this way - then the news is that the beer was bladder-filling good and the talent was firm of buttock and heavy of breast.

It is going to be a hard recession for the former middle class.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Yes, I know that street, that pub, AND that estate agents! I always preferred the Youngs pubs in Putney, though. It's been a very long time since a Ram and Special tickled my palate, unfortunately.

4 December 2008 at 15:10  

You will know the Spotted Horse - it is a Youngs house, I think.

I used to go in there a lot, but the smoking ban led to an exodus of their regular punters. So they tarted the place up and jacked up the prices. Hence on my trips to London I drink in the Railway now.

4 December 2008 at 15:43  

Have a care, Mr Exile, it's probably not going to be too easy for you either, this recession (before you get too hooked up on gloating at the misfortune of Thatcher's admittedly loathsome children).

4 December 2008 at 16:29  

Want to hear a funny story Nick? The last time that I had a job with holiday pay, a pension entitlement and sickness benefit it ended in 1981.

That was when Thatcher's War came to my part of Manchester and all the jobs went west. I now have nieces and nephews who are in their 40s and have never had a proper job - just McWork.

So I have had almost 30 years of shit, but at least I now live in a place that is warm and where food is cheap.

I don't have much money but watching the middle class reduced to pimping their daughters is going to make up for a lot.

4 December 2008 at 17:05  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home