# Contact info submission url: exile-blog.blogspot.com site_owner: address1: address2: city: state: country: postal_code: phone_number: display_email: site_name: site_description: The Exile

E-Mail Me

My Twitter

Top Blogs

LeftWing2

Campaign 4 Public Ownership

FASO

FASSIT

Mothers For Justice

Ian Josephs

UKSecretCourt's Videos

Unity-Injustice




Chris Paul

David Lindsay

Heresy Corner

Machetera

Martin Meenagh

Neil Clark

Organised Rage

Renegade Eye

Serb Blog

Splintered Sunrise

Star of Vergina

Unrepentant Communist

Agitprop

British Politics

Censorship 01

Collaborators

Gimlet

Imperialism

Memories

Mexico

New Britain 01

New Britain 02

Sleaze

Social Work Industry

Wankblogs

Working Class

Atom Feed

XML Feed





19 December 2005
Evo Morales is President-Elect of Bolivia
Evo Morales has claimed victory in yesterday's Bolivian elections. It is possible that he has reached the magic 50% figure, as with half the actual votes counted, the local radio has him on just over 50%.

If no candidate gets over half the votes cast, then the matter will be decided by the Congress. The good news for the left is that the main rightist contender, Jorge Quiroga, has already conceeded defeat and has offered his congratulations to Morales. The third placed candidate, Samuel Doria Medina, has announced that if it comes to a congressional vote, his people will support whichever candidate came first in the popular vote.

Evo Morales is the man who had the quite wonderful campaign slogan of "Long live coca: death to the Yankees". Again, the question has to be asked, would the Americans have allowed Evo Morales to become president had they not been tied down in Iraq?
5 Comments:

I feel ridiculously inadequate reading your blog, yet at the same time I'm strangely satisfied. I don't like watching the news on TV because it almost always makes me cry; the world is so angry at itself. But I don't like not knowing what is going on in the world either. So usually I watch internet news broadcasts from France -- I only understand about 2% of what they are saying, but I can at least usually figure out what country they are talking about, if not the actual subject they are dealing with. It's a compromise I'm happy with. But reading your blog, I feel weirdly up to date. Maybe because I feel like I could understand about twice as much of what you said as I can when I get my news in French. Almost a full 4% understanding of world politics and events. At least for right now -- I'm very tired, so I could be wrong.

19 December 2005 at 06:16  

Thank you for your kind words. The blog is really a bit of entertainment for me, but if you get something out of it then that is a bonus.

If you ever have any questions, then please write to me directly. I love chatting.

19 December 2005 at 06:29  

With our President Bush in office who came in not knowing or caring who the leaders were in Canada and Mexico and called our own Constitution a "goddamn piece of paper," I don't think he cares much who is President in Bolivia unless there is a profit to be made.

The Right Left

19 December 2005 at 17:14  

This is good news for Bolivians. Of course, Morales (along with Hugo Chavez) will have to be assassinated, er, I mean neutralized, in order to protect Freedom.

19 December 2005 at 20:48  

Hey damnsle: don't worry too much. I'm as much an expert on politix as most people, and believe me, Sturgeon's Law applies here: 90% of everything is CRAP.

If you want to watch news over the Internet and get out of the box they've put us in here, the liberal "Mosaic" gets news from the Middle East, and dubs over the arabic/farsi/etc.
Mon-Fri: Link TV - Mosaic. I watch it all the time.

For that matter: check out streaming linx to América Latina's teleSUR (service may vary in your area!)

21 December 2005 at 01:32  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home